If you are going to travel or go on vacation, there is a very high chance that you will need a credit card sooner or later. Sometimes even before departure when booking a flight or hotel, and especially when picking up a rental car. In addition, a credit card has several other useful advantages while traveling and on vacation. Below, we will share the 5 benefits of a credit card and which credit card we consider the best for travelers.
Do you really need a Credit Card on vacation or while traveling?
Yes, we can be brief and concise about it. During our travels, we often find ourselves in small villages where it’s impossible to withdraw cash or use a regular debit card for payment. In those situations, having a globally accepted credit card is truly invaluable. Additionally, most foreign airlines only accept credit cards for flight bookings, and you also need one when picking up a rental car. This is because you’re required to present a credit card in the name of the main driver when collecting a rental car. Without a credit card, you simply won’t be able to rent a car anywhere in the world. That’s why we always carry our credit card with us on all our trips. It provides us with financial security, which is crucial when traveling or on vacation.
Advantages of a Credit Card
- Convenience of Payment: With a credit card, you can easily make purchases at stores, restaurants, hotels, and various other establishments worldwide. It’s convenient because you don’t always need to carry cash with you, and it’s widely accepted by most merchants.
- Security: Compared to cash, a credit card provides more security. If you lose your credit card or it gets stolen, you can immediately have it blocked, and you’re usually not held liable for any fraudulent charges. Retrieving lost or stolen cash, on the other hand, is much more challenging.
- Emergencies: In case of an emergency, such as illness, accidents, or unexpected expenses, a credit card can be useful. You can quickly withdraw cash from ATMs or make payments for medical services or other unforeseen costs.
- Online Purchases and Reservations: If you’re planning to make online purchases or book accommodations, rental cars, or flights, a credit card can be essential. Many websites and service providers only accept credit cards for payments and reservations.
- Rewards and benefits: Many credit cards offer rewards programs, such as points, cashback, or travel miles, that you can accumulate during your travels. These can be redeemed for discounts, free flights, hotel stays, or other benefits. It can be a fun way to get a little extra during your travels. Read more about these advantages below.
The best Credit Card for Travel and Holidays + advantages
There can sometimes be a lot of difference between credit cards. Do you travel or vacation regularly? Then we recommend the American Express Gold Card. Despite its $250 annual fee, this card offers an array of lavish rewards that make it well worth the investment. What sets this card apart are the exceptional benefits it provides. One of the most enticing perks is the statement credits. As a cardholder, you’ll receive up to $120 in annual dining credit, covering your expenses at restaurants. Additionally, when you book The Hotel Collection through American Express Travel and stay for a minimum of two nights, you’ll receive a $100 experience credit. It’s important to note that the amount of experience credit you receive may vary depending on the property. Moreover, there are exclusive travel advantages awaiting you. Certain hotels offer room upgrades exclusively for Gold Card members, ensuring a more luxurious and comfortable stay. By enrolling with The Travel Collection by Travel Leaders Group at no extra cost, you gain access to special travel discounts and amenities that will enhance your overall travel experience. Furthermore, you have the flexibility to transfer your Membership Rewards points to a wide range of airline partners, providing you with even more options for your next adventure.
The disadvantages of a Credit Card
A credit card doesn’t only have advantages but also a few disadvantages. It can sometimes be more difficult to obtain a credit card, for example, if you have a debt. Additionally, the biggest drawback is that withdrawing cash is more expensive than using your debit card. It’s better to do this only in emergencies when your debit card doesn’t work. Paying with your debit card is free, and it’s wise to make online purchases with your credit card. This way, you are always guaranteed delivery and automatically insured.
How long does it take to apply for a Credit Card?
To apply for a credit card, you will need an identification document and the amount of your monthly salary. The application process takes about 5 minutes. You will receive the credit card within five business days, and you can start using it immediately after activation. You can cancel it at any time.